Sunday, December 4, 2011

How do I remove an account holder from my checking account?

I added my father to my checking account a few months ago out of convenience, but he's been doing automatic transfers from my account without telling me. To prevent this in the future, I want to have him removed from my account. It's a free student checking account from Wachovia, what's the fastest and easiest way to get him removed, if possible?





He can't go with me to the bank, he lives all the way across the country, if that means anything.|||Go to the bank and talk to someone there.





I had a similar situation with my Wells Fargo account. I was the owner, and I had a co-signer. I had to open a new account, transfer funds (except what was required to cover what I'd done), then close the old account with the other signer attached.





Where you're at a different bank, they may do things differently, but check- you may be able to just stop his transfers, where you didn't authorize them... Dunno, though.|||Most banks won't remove anyone from an account. You just need to close the account and open a new one. Wachovia lets you do most transactions (even open accounts) over the phone so you should be able to call and do this.





I am concerned about what kind of automatic transfers he has set up. You need to make sure that your old account is closed properly otherwise, if one of these transfers comes through, it could cause an overdraft fee.





Good luck.|||Best and easiest way is to close the account and then open a new one.|||Are you both co-owners of the account? If so he has to sign off. If not, you can go in and have him removed from signing privileges, and request a new card. I'd start a new account though.





If he is on the account with you (joint acct.), you cannot close it and you're jointly responsible for it.








Go in and ask your branch manager what to do, that's the best bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment